Tuesday, August 05, 2003

new bell schedule

So I finally got a mailing from Sig for bookstore hours:

August 6 -- Wednesday - 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
August 7 -- Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
August 8 -- Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.


Also enclosed in the envelope was a new bell schedule! Last year's schedule developed a marked contrast between the classes that were held Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and the classes that were held Tuesday and Thursday. Because the Tuesday and Thursday periods were spaced apart (from Thursday to Tuesday is a 4 day break!), and because the periods themselves dragged on (2 hr periods), Tuesday and Thursday classes were regularly more laid back, according to several of the teachers' observations. So that was a problem.

The new schedule fixes that problem:

Monday: 1,2,4,S,L,5,6,7
Tuesday: 1,2,L,3,4
Wednesday: 5,6,L,3,7
Thursday: 1,2,L,3,4
Friday: 5,6,L,3,7


I think L is for lunch and S is for study hall

OK, I can probably guess your first question: "What's up with Monday??!" Good question. 6 fun-filled periods. I barely fit 4 periods' worth of books into my large backpack last year, and it was quite a load to carry. I hope the teachers come up with a system to store our books in the classroom (seems unlikely, with the large number of students coming in), or that the teachers simply teach outside the book on Mondays.

Your second question might be: "Why are we having 3rd period Tuesday through Friday?" I don't know, but this seems to defeat the purpose of block scheduling...on the other hand, I enjoyed the old system of all classes every day (back when I had access to lockers). So we'll see.

What's your opinion on the new schedule?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home